Monday, December 19, 2011

All Because Two People Fell In Love


I don't think I'm the only person that is having trouble attaining the warm & fuzzies for Christmas this year. In fact, I can't believe it's less than a week away. I've wrapped presents, made treats, made presents...all the things that are supposed to get me in the mood but it doesn't seem to be working. I think because I have to do so many things in a rush it takes the joy out of it. Just this weekend I wrapped an arsenal of presents, made FIVE (count them) Christmas treats, and burned and packaged 44 DVD's. No wonder I'm not feeling the joy! Who has time to feel anything?

All of that changed yesterday though, at my first family gathering. I went out to my dad's side of the family for our little Christmas celebration. This was our first Christmas without my Grandma who just passed away a few months ago. I knew it was going to be tough for everyone, but I also know that my Grandma would've whooped us up if we didn't have a joyous celebration TOGETHER. The older I get, the more I realize how hard my grandma worked not only to keep us together, but to make everything so fun! She loved to laugh, and had the best laugh in the world. It's the one thing about her that I will truly never forget.

My Uncle David and I were talking at my grandma's funeral about some DVD's the family had made for my grandparent's 50th wedding anniversary. It was all of their old home movies ranging from my Aunts & Uncles as children, all the way through me & my cousins as children. Since it was so costly to have it done they only had 1 master copy of them all. They also had 1 VHS tape of my grandparent's 40th wedding anniversary that needed to be transferred to DVD as well. Since I have a fancy little DVD burner, was sitting on 2 spindles of DVD+R's and a huge box of CD cases, I volunteered for the job!

My Aunt Diana had put a great picture of my grandparents when they were young on her Facebook page, so I swiped it and uploaded it to Picnik (don't you just LOVE that site?) and added their names and a little rose. This is what I used for the cover of the DVD's. I had a half off code at Walgreen's so it cost me a whopping .95 cents! I also took the VHS tape to Duplication Media and they had it done in 2 days for $20.

I had some ribbon in my wrapping paper organizing thingamajig that I had bought from a fundraiser so I used that to tie them up. The best part hands down about this project was that I had them playing on my laptop while I wrapped presents and burned DVD's. It was so amazing to see my parent's together, me as a baby, my little brother as a baby, all of my cousins at many Halloweens, 4th of July's, and Christmas Day's. My little cousin Darby who passed away when he was 16 was alive again for a few minutes on my screen. So was my grandmother in all of her joyous glory. Watching those I realized how amazingly close my family is, all thanks to my grandma who was the life of the party. Always laughing, dancing, and looking fabulous. Goodness I miss her.

Here is what they looked like when I was done:


Fresh with the images in my head of all of us together, I handed these out with tears and stories of what I saw and how it made me feel. I was then rewarded with hugs and tears and appreciation for a gift that although will bring a few tears, will also help ease the pain of losing grandma by being able to see her love again in action. I don't think you can get much more warm & fuzzier than that. :)

We can't wait to see you again Grandma! I can see you smiling and hear you laughing with me always.

"He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." Rev 21:4

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow! That is so amazing :) xoxo it brought tears to my eyes reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. ;) I miss my grammy but this really did ease the pain. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so nice!! How fun it must've been to watch that & see all of those smiles. If I ever got a gift like that I'd be blubbering all over the place. You're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aahhh thank you! Trust me...there was a lot of blubbering!

    ReplyDelete