Thursday, January 12, 2012

Housekeeping Rules


I am not by any means a perfect housekeeper. I don't dust every week like I should, and I don't always get the bathtub scrubbed like I should either. But I do like to have a few rules to keep myself and my house in check. The two things that can get out of hand quickly for me is the kitchen and laundry. The rest of the house can get cleaned and/or picked up pretty easily if you have your kitchen clean and your laundry somewhat caught up.

So these are the my daily rules that I try to make sure are done every day.

1. Nothing in the kitchen sink at bedtime. Every day I make an effort to empty the dishwasher and make sure there are no dishes in the sink. Not a pan, not a spoon. Counters cleaned and floor swept.

2. Do one complete load of laundry. In my house, everyone has their own laundry hamper, towels are separate. Each person gets their own laundry day. This eliminates missing socks and wrong t-shirts and undies going to the wrong girls in the wrong drawers. The rule is, they are washed, dried, folded and put away. This keeps us from having one day full of nothing but endless laundry.

Having just these two things to manage keeps me from feeling overwhelmed. This is what works for me & helps me feel better about my home. Sometimes life gets in the way and a spoon might get left in the sink and the dryer might run cold a night, but we just get back to it the next day.

Are you a clean freak? Or do you have to check yourself?

I am linking this post to the Works for Me Wednesday at http://www.wearethatfamily.com/ and Women Living Well.

1 comment:

  1. Ummmm, yeah... I think I need some 'rules' around here too... *sigh* Eventually, it will get there...

    ReplyDelete