Tuesday, January 3, 2012

January NO SPEND Challenge


There are a lot of frugality inspired blogs out there challenging ME (OK, everyone) to do a no spend challenge in January. Learning the Frugal Life's challenge is the 31 Days of Nothing Challenge. Her challenge is to spend money on the things you only absolutely need. No fun shopping of any kind. Reading her post kind of got me to realize that I might actually have a bit of a shopping problem when it scared me a bit. But then I thought, if it scares you, maybe you need to try it? You might see a thing or two about yourself! So I'm going for it. Here are the guidelines I set for my family:

-No eating out out under any circumstances-I do this more often than I like to admit to myself
-No shopping for deals, no fun stuff, no snacks-I have to stay off of my fave sites! Out of the thrift shops!
-No spending money on entertainment-no movies, no renting movies-we have enough resources for entertainment in my house that this should be easy for us.
-Sell off existing "stuff" on Craig's or other avenues-why not try to make a few in the process?



To take it one step further, I think it would do us some good to also participate in Good Cheap Eats Pantry Challenge to clean out our existing food and not waste what we have. I honestly don't have much stockpiled right now but there is enough that it could make my dollars stretch for the month.

I'll be linking up with Good Cheap Eats and Learning the Frugal Life with my ideas and progress and frustrations along my little journey. I'm a little scurrrred...but also kind of optimistic. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment