Monday, January 9, 2012

Pantry Challenge Update

This has been a challenge for me as I didn't have too much stockpiled to start with...but I'm still working with what I got! I entertained this weekend and have to entertain this week, and I also have to take a dish to my last Christmas celebration so a pantry challenge is exactly that...a challenge!

I had kids over this weekend and instead of ordering the usual pizza, I made 2 Totino's Party Pizzas and a box of chicken nuggets I had on hand. I made up some sugar-free Kool-Aid and popped some popcorn for snacks. I don't remember the last time I had kids overnight and didn't drop at least $40 on food. It reminded me that dropping money like that isn't necessary...the kids didn't even notice, they actually loved it!

Tonight I am having friends from church over. They are vegetarians and I found a great vegetarian chili recipe. I had most of the ingredients on hand as I had stockpiled a ton of beans & canned veggies last time Hy-Vee had them on sale. I did have to buy the produce, but that didn't cost too much.

Wednesday I was asked to bring chili as well which works for me as I have all the ingredients on hand for that as well...although this will wipe out my bean stockpile.

The other nights I am using up on hand tortillas, turkey pepperoni, pizza sauce, potatoes whole grain bread and the rest of the veggies that I bought for the veggie chili...you can read my menu plan here.

I love the creativity and frugal-ness of this challenge! It's already changing my outloook which is what a good challenge should do. :)

The Pantry Challenge is featured on Good Cheap Eats!

No comments:

Post a Comment