Friday, February 24, 2012

Cozy Jammy Oscar Party


I'm not sure if it's because I've worked in the movie industry for 20 years, (ok well the DVD side, but I like to make it sound more glamorous) or if it's because I adore all things fashion or a mixture of both but I LOVE the Oscars. There are two things I look forward to every year like a football junkie looks forward to the Superbowl...the season finale of Project Runway and the Oscars.

When I was younger I always dreamed of having some fancy party on Oscar night where everyone dressed up and we chatted and had movie themed snacks....but that never happened because they are always on Sunday and run pretty late and who wants to be cleaning up a mess in some uncomfortable dress all night? I am a Pisces and I tend to dream a lot...while my other fishy is super happy sitting on the couch with my laptop ready to do a running commentary on Facebook like anyone even cares.

The awesome thing is that I've kind of wrangled my husband in to watching them with me, and he seems to almost enjoy it! That makes it so much more fun to me as his commentary is that of a regular dude who is watching the Oscars. His version of the Fashion Police keeps me laughing all night long.

This year I am embracing my cozy jammy Oscar day with all around comfort....which means some awesome movie themed comfort food. Hope you aren't expecting high brow cuisine here...I don't want to spill caviar on my jammies. :)


And the nominees are:

Since Hugo and Midnight in Paris take place in (duh) Paris, I am going to make these dark chocolate crescents for breakfast because when I think of Paris, I think of windows of decadent pastries....mmmm. Plus Dr. Oz says that dark chocolate is healthy and this particular recipe is only 110 calories per! Two please!

For lunch in honor of Minnie from The Help, I am going to make these Southern Fried Chicken Strips (I'm sorry I can't do the chocolate pie, but here is the recipe if you would like to make it yourself!) and to celebrate The Artist and I will make the popular 1920's drink Root Beer Floats! I will need to balance this out with a nice veggie green salad ala the Tree of Life.

For dinner, as a nod to The Descendants I am going to make Hawaiian Burritos. This is an old recipe of mine...I will post later!

We all know that the Oscars last FOREVER...so we of course need a few snacks to get us through that home stretch. So let's not forget Moneyball and have some popcorn and some Apple Nachos for that sweet little horsey in War Horse. Eating popcorn and apples can get a little loud...so YOU GUESSED IT...we are giving props to Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close. Whew. I had no idea how I was going to get that one in there.

Do you watch the Oscars? Maybe you should give it a shot this year if not for any reason other than to make some fun food. :)

You can see all of the Oscar nominations here.

No comments:

Post a Comment