Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Gourmet Breakfast on the GO

When you are a working mom, food on the go is a way of life. Finding ways to stay healthy and more importantly not get bored can be a real challenge. You rely on yogurt cups or granola bars just to get something in your tummy. But sometimes those little yogurt cups can feel so cold and empty. You can feel the sadness as you start to scrape the bottom of that little cup for those last few bites of yogurt that went so fast. I used to eat granola bars every morning for breakfast as they are easy to store in my desk and a box is a week's worth of breakfast. The only problem with the granola bar is that it's about 2 1/2 bites and you are ravenous within an hour.

So I came up with a solution. I adore yogurt parfaits but who has time to make them every day? As long as I remember to throw a cup of yogurt in my bag on the way out...I do!

I am a visual person and I like when food is presented on a plate or a bowl, and I like when it looks like MORE. Yes, I must admit, I am a volume eater!

I went and bought some plastic (gasp!) bowls and spoons to keep up in my desk cupboard. I then went to the Dollar Tree and bought a little container for the Love Crunch (dark chocolate & red berries) granola I buy from Costco.

I love the Yellow Submarine in the background
I then pour the yogurt out in to the bowl, which I then realize is a lot more than it seems when it's upright in that cold and unfeeling little cup.


Still a little cold and unfeeling


Now is what makes this so much yummier, is the Love Crunch Granola! I found this cute little "scoop of love" scoop at the Goodwill. Some married couple had given them out as favors and must've over-ordered. I celebrate their love silently whenever I pull it out. (Love Crunch was actually created for a wedding celebration which you can read about here) I can find romance anywhere, even in a yogurt parfait. I'm just lucky like that.


I do 2 scoops of LOVE

My girlfriend gave me some fancy-shmancy cinnamon in the coolest little magnetic container to keep on my cupboard door here at work. I use that and dash a little on top...Dr. Oz is always going on about how good cinnamon is for you but I have to admit I just love the stuff unconditionally.

Someone gave me that silly little magnet..so cute!


Instead of adding fruit, I eat it on the side. This breakfast is so filling and keeps me energized and focused in the morning. If you include the banana this is approximately 270 calories and a little over a buck to make.

Yes that is a tiny square of dark chocolate!


One last thing before I go...I found this cup that has added to my gourmet breakfast on the go experience. My "frugal" boss bought a Keurig maker for our office as we vowed that we would provide our own coffee if he did. Seriously how cool is that? Now I get to enjoy whatever cup of coffee or tea I'm obsessing over at the moment, but in this amazing travel mug that is perfect for the Keurig. It's short but wide which holds 2 small cup settings. It fits perfectly in my hand and every time I take a sip out of it I am so thankful that I bought it. Oh and it's the most amazing shade of teal that changes with my mood. ;)


It has a non skid bottom too!

Ok, ok...maybe it's not exactly GOURMET...but dang it feels so much better than that cold cup of yogurt or that skinny 2 1/2 bite granola bar. It works for me!

I am linking this to http://learningthefrugallife.blogspot.com/, http://juliecache.com/, http://www.gettingaheadblog.com/, http://www.crystalandcomp.com/, http://www.milkandcuddles.com/, http://katherinescorner.com/

4 comments:

  1. I love the mug too, and the cinnamon that is a magnet? Who would think up something like that? So cool! I have really gotten into yogurt lately, so I will have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is a magnet! I don't know where she found it but it's so handy when I want a little sprinkle in my hot tea or my yogurt!

      Delete
  2. What a great plan to not just pack your breakfast but make it (fresh) at work. I also love the magnet! I have been blog hopping on the Thursdays Favorite Things Blog Hop and I have learned so many things from so many amazing and talented people. I am following you and would love a follow back:)

    My Turn (for us)

    http://myturn-evelyn.blogspot.com

    Thanks so much, I sure enjoyed the visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Evelyn! I almost didn't post this because I thought hey it's just yogurt Dannette! But it brings me joy every morning and sometimes it's the littlest things. It would be my honor to follow you!! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete