Thursday, March 22, 2012

Crockpot Southwest Steak & Potato Soup

Ok you've heard me rave over this recipe many times. It's so simple you can't imagine that it would taste this good...but it does. This is the only soup that my husband will come home to with a smile. He knows those chunks of steak and potato will not only fill him up, but taste delicious. I come home to it with a smile because it's done in the crockpot and that always makes me happy because dinner is DONE.

So here is what you need for Southwest Steak & Potato Soup:

1-1/2 lb Sirloin steak
2 Medium potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces (I used three in my version to use up some potatoes)
2 cups Frozen corn (or green beans)
1 Small onion and/or 1 Bell pepper (I like to use the Bird's Eye Pepper Stir Fry Mix in mine)
1 16-ounce Jar thick and chunky salsa (I like to use a hot or a medium, but mild is fine if you don't want it too zippy)
1 14-ounce Can beef broth (one of my friends likes more broth and uses 2 cans in stead of 1)
1 teaspoon Dried basil
2 cloves Garlic, minced





If you have some onions or peppers on hand, throw them on in!





Peel & cut up your potatoes. I like to prep mine the night before so I can just dump it in the crock in the morning.






Make sure you store these in some cold water to keep them from turning brown overnight.

               




Chop up your steak as well. My steak was still a bit frozen on the inside which made cutting so much easier.





Pop them in to the fridge overnight.





In the morning, or whenever you are making your soup, dump in the steak, potatoes, veggies, spices and garlic.





Pour in your broth.





Pour in your salsa.
                                                            




Give it a good stir and set on low. Cook for 8-10 hours. 4-5 on high if it's a weekend and you are home.





Come home, serve and enjoy!


You can add sour cream, taco cheese, tortilla strips...I love to serve this with a pepper cheese grilled cheese. It's to DIE. I gave this recipe to one of my sister-in-laws and her family loves it. In fact, her 7 year old twins eat two bowls each! Makes a fabulous lunch the next day too. :)

I am sharing this on http://www.learningthefrugallife.blogspot.com/, http://www.juliecashe.com/, http://www.gettingaheadblog.com/, http://www.tipjunkie.com/, http://www.frugallivingandmore.com/, www.katherinescorner.com






1 comment:

  1. Ooh, sounds good! I finally got a slow cooker last year...I'm always looking for new recipes.

    [oomph.]

    ReplyDelete