Friday, March 9, 2012

Movie Theater Tip



You ever see these cute little boxes on the clearance shelf? Or maybe at a dollar store? If so, pick some up and keep them on hand. I'll tell you why. ;)

You ever take your children to the movies? I know, I know it's super expensive to take a family to the movies. Sometimes it's still a special treat. Speaking of treats, THAT'S what makes it so darn expensive! (some dude just sued a theater for expensive munchies a few days ago!)  I recently bought some Groupons for a local theater that had the tickets and popcorn and drinks included. It was an awesome deal. So awesome that I've bought the deal twice and multiple times. The only problem is that you get two large popcorn tubs for 4 people. It's not that we mind sharing, but it's kind of a pain in the booty. Kids handing things back and forth and spilling and not to mention the mindlessly eating a half of a tub before you've realized it.

So I slip those little popcorn boxes in to my purse. When we get the tubs, I scoop popcorn in to each one, and we all get our own popcorn to hold. (especially nice if someone has germies on their little hands!)


I work in the movie industry and I've always loved the theater experience. I love going on date nights with my husband and I love family nights as well. Most theaters have discounted nights on either admission or snacks. I don't mind the discount theaters even though some of them aren't as updated. My kids still have a great time just being together and laughing at a movie. It makes for a great night out!

Have you taken your family to the movies lately? Do you smuggle in food?

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up to the Frugal Tuesday Tip! Passing around a big tub in the dark is annoying. OK, it's annoying for at-home movie nights, too. Great tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! Great tip! I'm so proud of that guy for suing...too bad nothing will come of it. We usually go for free before the movies come out with a service I'm subscribed to....still have to pay for snacks, though. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those darn snacks!! It's really ridiculous the amount that they pay. I love taking my family to the movies but you definitely have to have it in the budget!

      Delete
  3. Something needs to be done about the high priced snacks at movies. My son bought a popcorn tub for $6 in DEcember. For the whole year now we can get that tub filled for $3 (which the kids have to pay for themselves) - which is still high, but better than paying $6 for that amount.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. Some of our theaters have stimulus Tuesdays with popcorn for $1.00, but who can go to the movies on a Tuesday night? I would take my kids to the movies so much more if the snacks weren't so high.

      Delete
  4. My daughter and I went to see 21 Jump Street yesterday. :D I never sneak in food because that is how theaters make their $$$

    I am linking from Katherine's Corner.

    Happy St. Patrick's Day!

    xo,
    Ricki Jill

    ReplyDelete