Tuesday, April 10, 2012

DIY Salt Scrub

I took a salt scrub class a while back, and I've been pumping out salt scrubs as gifts ever since! The first one I made for myself and I am honestly HOOKED. I really despise putting greasy lotion on my body, and with this I don't have to because your skin is so soft afterwards. I got my BFF hooked on it and she is now making them herself. This will be a staple for Mother's Day this year, but I've also been including them in birthday gifts for all of my ladies. It's so super simple that I know you will get hooked too.


All you need is some Epsom salt, olive oil, and some essential oils (if you wish, but it not necessary!) I bought a case of the jars shown at the Dollar Tree. I had them shipped to the store so that I have them on hand and it only cost me $20 for 20 jars. I also splurged and bought those tiny bamboo spoons from Pampered Chef. It just adds that little something extra...but again not necessary.



This particular jar holds about 2 cups of Epsom salt.




I whisk out the little lumps and get it nice and smooth.





Then I add about a cup of olive oil. (maybe a smidge more, just make sure it's covering your salt)




Then I give that a good stir.




Then I add 2 TSP of essential oils and give it another stir. I am making a cupcake scented salt scrub for a birthday present here, but I also make a coffee scented SS and I add 1 TSP of coffee oil and 1/2 TSP vanilla and 1/2 TSP cinnamon. (I apologize for the blurry picture, it's hard taking them yourself sometimes!)



Then I tied some ribbon around and tied on the bamboo spoon.

You can also dye your scrub a pretty color with natural mica. I get all of my oils from www.soothingnaturally.com. The lady who taught the class runs this site and she has very fair prices and oodles of scents to choose from. She also sells very beautiful salts and natural colorants. As I said before though, scents are not required, the salt scrub works fabulous without it. The scents just add that little something special, especially if you are giving it as a gift.

Do you make homemade gifts? Do you enjoy getting them yourself?



8 comments:

  1. Love, love, love!!! Great idea Dannette! I especially love it when PC products make a cameo in your blog!!
    Keep on rockin'
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. How easy! I would have never thought to do that, but what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I whip these up in about 10 minutes or less. Perfect for this Chillmom!

      Delete
  3. Great idea. I love this. I am going to try it. I make soap already, so this would be a great addition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to make my own soap! Teach me!!

      Delete
  4. Perfect! Thank you for linking up to the Thursday hop. Sorry I'm behind in saying thank you. My Monday post will explain my delay.Hope to see you again this Thursday. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wonderful! How do you make the cupcake scent? Do you use fragrance oils or just essential oils?

    ReplyDelete