Thursday, April 26, 2012

Vegetarian Crockpot Chili

I have mentioned this recipe a few times in my Menu Plan Mondays. I had vegetarian friends coming over for dinner on a work/weeknight. So I knew I needed a crockpot recipe, but obviously also meat free. I couldn't make my favorite crockpot lasagna because you can't let that cook all day or you will come home to a crock of black tar. I found this recipe on the internet and since it had tons of good reviews, I went with it. (I did adapt it a bit to my taste) I honestly was scared serving something I had never made before, but I didn't have much of a choice. I am SO GLAD that I did. This was so delicious.

Now when you are preparing it, I don't blame you for being scared at the amount of green you see before you mix it all together. I promise you though, that it all cooks down and away. Lots of nutrients being snuck in to this one! This is great for a Meatless Monday, or you can do what I did and freeze individual portions to be re-heated in my Lunch Crock. It makes an amazingly filling lunch!

Now don't be scared by the amount of ingredients. Most of these are cans that are opened, drained and dumped in the crock. Another chunk are spices.

Ingredients

  • 1  can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can vegetarian baked beans
  • 1 can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 can whole kernel corn, drained
  • 1 can chopped green chiles
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 zucchini, chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1-2 jalapenos, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder, or to taste
  • 1 tablespoon dried parsley
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 tablespoon dried basil





Looks pretty crowded I know...don't be scurrrred!




I didn't want my chili to be super chunky with veggies, so I used my PC manual food processor so I had to chop the veggies down a bit. Even in a regular processor you would want to cut them up a bit.




I adore this little contraption. It is hands down my fave PC product ever. I can't beileve how much work it does with a few pumps!




I love cutting up zucchini. It cuts like butter.





Throw them on in with the celery. Continue this process with the rest of the veggies.





I put them all in a bowl and set aside for a few. Or overnight if plan to prepare in the morning. If so, I go ahead and measure out the spices and put them in a small bowl as well.





Next you need to sautee the veggies for a bit. I've been in to using coconut oil instead of olive oil. The health benefits seem to trump that of olive oil. Plus this jar is really cool looking. :)





Get some melted down in a pan, or if using any kind of oil, let it heat up a bit.





Let the veggies sautee for a bit.





While the veggies are doing their thing, go ahead and dump the rest of the ingredients in the crock.





When the veggies are done to your liking, toss them in along with the spices.






Give it a good stir and let it cook on low for 6-8 hours. I actually cooked this batch overnight so I could take it for lunch. (the first time I made it, it cooked for 10 hours and was just fine)






This was my lunch in my Lunch Crock after re-heating under my desk. Delicious, nutritious and genius!


Do you have any meatless dishes in your family? After watching Forks Over Knives I've really tried to incorporate more meatless dishes in to our diet.




3 comments:

  1. Love!! Especially love the cameo appearances of some of my favorite babies!! The MFP looked stunning when adorned with zucchini! And the Flexible Cutting Mats made quite an impact with their vibrant color and functionality!! The chili looks great! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks yummy and your photography is great! Your newest follower! Can you please add this recipe to my Taste This Thursday party!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds and looks delish! Thank you for linking to the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop. Sending hugs and happy weekend wishes! xo

    ReplyDelete