Thursday, May 3, 2012

DIY Disney Autograph Books

I am taking my little family to Disney world (yay!) so of course I have been researching like CRAZY. There are some Disney addicts/experts that are kind of enough to share their advice from every angle on the net. One of my fave sites is Tips From the Disney Diva. Her advice is very practical and I feel like I owe her a check for the potential money and sanity saved!

Because I want the full Disney experience and I didn't go the take-your-own-food-in-the-park-and-stay-off-site-to-save-money route, I'm looking for other ways to cut down costs. When I saw the suggestion to make your own autograph book I knew I wanted to do it. I figure the kids will HAVE to have autographs but what will they do with them after? Now the Disney Diva's version takes care of that problem by making it an autograph/photo album which is genius. I almost went with that too but instead I decided to do an even thriftier version as I'm really terrible with pictures and I would probably never follow up and put the pictures in the album when we got home. You have to know thyself. :)

So this is the version I came up with. I'm sure it's not as cute as the $25 versions sold in the park, but I can think of better, more utilized things to spend $25 on. So my version came in around $4 per. Not bad for something that will serve it's purpose and possibly end up in a drawer somewhere.

First I started with a pad of blank index cards that I got for $1.25. I bought a pack of stickers (3 sheets) for $1.00, and I bought sheets of Duck Tape for $1.33.



I already owned Sharpies from another project.




The Duck Tape sheets have a nice grid on the back, so I lined it up to know where to cut.




Instead of tracing I just made a little dot.




I zipped through them pretty fast.




Peel them off and stick them on. Thanks to the grid they fit perfect!




Instantly transformed!




Then I decorated. If I had to do it again, I may have used lighter colors of Duck Tape since the Sharpie had trouble showing up. I used the rest of the stickers on the inside of each page throughout the book.




Since they are kind of small and the characters have big slippery hands, I bought this clipboard for $1.00 to attach it to. They do recommend a Sharpie or fat marker so the characters can grip them easier! These will fit perfect in their drawstring backpacks that they will carry through the park.


Maybe not as cute as I would like them to be, but my grand total to $3.91 + tax. :)



Have you ever been to Disney world? Disneyland? Are you addicted? Any advice??

2 comments:

  1. this is a sweet idea, a perfect way to keep souvenirs too, like postcards, and ticket stubs. Hugs and thank you for joining in the hop fun. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for all the compliments! I'm so glad you love tipsfromthedisneydiva.com

    ReplyDelete