Monday, July 16, 2012

Gourmet Breakfast on the GO option 2

A while ago I posted about breakfast on the go that doesn't include a two bite bar of some kind. When you are a working mom, it's so hard to take care of yourself and eat those fabulous healthy breakfasts that every magazine tells you is imperative to include in your day. What I hate about that the most is when you fail to do so and have a "I have to grab something fast" moment, you start your day off feeling like you've already broke the cardinal "healthy lifestyle" rule thus starting your day off making you feel like a complete failure.

I am forever trying to find solutions to combat this problem which leads me to part two in my breakfast on the go series. (I think I can call it a series now since I also wrote a lunch on-the-go post too!)

Have you ever stopped at McDonald's and grabbed a breakfast sandwich? Or maybe even Subway for a "healthier" version? Both can be pretty good, but also expensive and of course depending on what you choose, very UN-healthy. But goodness sakes sometimes if you want something hot and tasty it costs money and who has time to make a hot breakfast sandwich anyway?? Well, I do, and you can too if you get yourself one of these little egg pans! I bought mine years ago at the World Market for $4.99. It's held up all of these years and has gotten me out of the door with a hot breakfast sandwich in MINUTES. (I'm not sure if World Market still sells them, but the link I provided is from E-bay who had it even cheaper)

So here is what it looks like:


It's a tiny little thing.


Yes it makes a heart-shaped egg!



Grab some Pam, an egg, and a multi-grain English muffin!



Spray the pan with Pam.



Turn the burner on low-ish.



Go ahead and crack your egg add her to the pan.




I prefer to take a fork and pierce the yolk. I then add some salt & pepper. You could also whisk this in a bowl and add some veggies before you pour it in. This particular version is made to my taste.





Put the little lid back on the pan. Let it cook for 1-2 minutes. (I'm not a sunny side up girl, but it is possible in this pan if that is what you would prefer!)



When you lift up the lid as you can see here the egg is perfectly cooked.




Slide out the egg (thanks Pam!) on to your English muffin and garnish!

I like to toast my English muffin and add tomato and jalapeno. But you could add cheese, peppers, turkey bacon or sausage and still keep this pretty healthy and frugal. I make these in about the same time it takes to toast pop tarts in the toaster. I grab a paper towel and wrap it up to eat in my car just like I would if I ordered from a fast food window. These can also be great for a quick lunch on the weekend or even dinner!

Do you eat breakfast every day? Do you have any staples that you rely on when you are on the go?











No comments:

Post a Comment